Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Back to reality!

I can't believe I've been off for over a year. It really feels like a month ago I was still at work and pregnant. So much has happened this past year and I am both happy and sad to start this new path!

Little Charlotte Jia Li Tan was born at 11:45 am on Tuesday March 15, 2011. She was 6lbs 7oz. She was pretty helpless and just slept, ate and pooped. As the months went on, we were so proud of every milestone. I remember the first time she rolled over from tummy to back, she was so surprised!! How did I get this way, and how do I get back, the look on her face said!

She was 6 months old when we started her on baby rice cereal. I remember she would only eat a teaspoon at a time. But she sure loved it. It wasn't long before she was ready for more. We started with sweet potatoes! Yum!!

She hated being in the car, so we would strategically plan our trips around her nap time. During the summer, we would walk the dogs at night, and she was still so little, Melvin would just carry her in his arms so she could see everything! She still loves taking walks, but is quite happy in her stroller now.

Then, at 6.5 months, Charlotte had her first cold. I felt so horrible! I don't remember if I was sick first, or if it was her, but it didn't really matter. Poor little girl, didn't understand why her nose was so stuffy and she was coughing. Ofcourse there is nothing that can be done, but give her some extra cuddles and snuggles. So that we did!

Then came teeth! Charlotte got her 2 first teeth (bottom 2) on October 5th. She was so cute smiling with her little chompers showing! And so proud! Teething wasn't nearly as bad as alot of the stories I had heard. So that was quite the relief! Today, she has 6 teeth. 4 at the top and the same 2 chomps at the bottom. According to her red cheeks and cries last night, we think a new one is on it's way!

I remember wishing for Charlotte to crawl, thinking she never would!! Yes, now I am eating my words!! Ofcourse I am happy she is developing, but now I know why my mommy friends kept saying, "be careful what you wish for!!" That little munchkin is EVERYWHERE!! As far as we know, she has only had one piece of dog food, but hey, it's good quality dog food, so it's not too bad right?? She loves their water bowl and loves the french doors in our living room. I think she likes to look and kiss herself in the glass! Grandpa will have his work cut out for him in June as he has the habit of cleaning our windows!!

It wasn't long after the crawling that the constant pulling up started! All she wants to do is stand!! We've lowered her crib to the lowest level, and she wasn't happy when she realized it wasn't so easy to get up now!! As of March 16, 2012, a day after her 1st Birthday. She weighs 17.2lbs and measures 26.5 inches. That's just over 2 feet of Charlotte!!!

Today she is spending the better part of the day at Curious Caterpillars. Melvin came to do the drop off with me this morning as he will be taking over the morning routine on Monday. This is the first morning she really cried and I think it's because we were both there. She had stopped crying by the time we got to the top of the stairs to leave though. So I have the day to myself today! I went for a run, came home, showered, made a smoothie and finished my book. All that before 11am! I don't pick her up until 3pm!! Everywhere I go, I feel like I'm forgetting something and I swear I heard her cry when I was in the shower this morning! I wonder if I will hear or see her around the office next week!

Speaking of office, they are expecting me at 8am sharp on Monday morning. I will work until 4pm and then pick up Charlotte from daycare! I have my framed Birthday Girl picture of Charlotte ready to put up at my desk along with my bag of stationary that I admitably never unpacked!

I had a great 1st year with my little family and am very thankful for our very supportive families! I think my parents visited almost once a month the past year and always insist Melvin and I get some time to ourselves to go for dinner. Hah we don't always accept as we don't want to miss out on any Charlotte time either!! My little 6lbs baby has grown into a 17lbs toddler and I wouldn't have things any other way! I always planned to go back to work, and I do feel a little guilty at times, but I'm not the first woman to tackle the working mom role and I won't be the last!! I can't wait to see what this year brings and how much we grow as a family (by that I DO NOT mean with another baby...)

I leave you now with Charlotte's first picture that I have on my blackberry and one that was taking last week on our way to the Doctor's for her 1 year appointment!!



3 comments:

  1. she is by far the sweetest little thing ever....I also remember clearly the first day you two came to strollerfit and she cried the whole class, she was so itty bitty and it was such a sweet cry we all remarked how cute she was and now she is just as cute and a big girl now....big hugs to Mommy and Charlotte on this next chapter of your lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your recap of the past year. It sounds like little Charlotte has gone through lots of exciting changes in the past year. She is so adorable! Wishing you a great first week back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved the recap Shellzz... Are you going to post anything new soon? :P cheers!

    ReplyDelete