Friday, March 14, 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

One of the best parts about going back to work was getting my reading time back again. No, I don't sit at work and read books all day, I wish, but I read on the subway. It's less than an hour a day, but I really value that time alone. Actually, a coworker offered me a ride home tonight, and I said no thanks, I actually enjoy taking the subway and reading my book. It's my alone time for the day!

Last year, I challenged myself to read 42 books. I came in a bit short at 33 (which is 79% of my goal). This year, I brought the goal down to 40. So far, I'm on book #11 and I'm 3 books ahead of schedule. Everything is tracked on Goodreads, it's a great site to find new books, and track what you've been reading or want to read. You can check it out here: https://www.goodreads.com/

I thought it would be interesting to write quick reviews and rate the books I've read so far. To keep it short, I'll do it in groups of 5 and rate them - they will be rated out of 5 Harry's (since I'm a geek and I love One Direction) . Here we go:

Baby Bumps: From Party Girl to Proud Mama, and All the Messy Milestones Along the Way by Nicole Polizzi aka Snooki

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17836509-baby-bumps

I thought this one was going to be super cheesy. But I was pleasantly surprised, I read the whole book in 2 days. It was honest and funny. She doesn't gloss over any parts of being pregnant. She did admit that her editor had a huge part in almost re writing it, but I didn't read it for the quality of the writing. I would recommend it to my friends who have had a baby or who are pregnant now and need a good read that's different from the usual "What to Expect when you are expecting" I give it 3 Harry's 

How to fall in Love by Cecilia Ahern

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18161265-how-to-fall-in-love

This was easily one of my least favorite of the first 5. It was written like a self help book, and I just had hard time getting into it. I don't usually stop reading a book unless things get really bad and I was able to finish it without too much struggling, but it didn't leave a lasting impression and it didn't leave me want to tell others to read it. I give it only 2 Harry's  

The Hole in the Middle by Kate Hilton

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18080970-the-hole-in-the-middle

I found this book while browsing the bookstore after Christmas. It was a new to me author and it caught my eye because it's about a woman who is trying to balance her life as a career woman, mother, wife and friend. She struggles to find that balance. It was really refreshing to see someone who works full time and runs a household and doesn't love every single second. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants validation that it's normal to not love every second and to be tired at the end of the day! I give this one 4 Harry's!

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/128029.A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns

This was our Book Clubs pick, so I don't want to say too much as we are meeting this week. I will say though that I was really looking forward to this book as I read quite a few similar books in the past few years and I really enjoyed them. For some reason, this one couldn't hold my attention. I found myself skipping pages and willing the book to be finished. Once again, I did get through it, but I wasn't rushing to tell anyone about it. I am looking forward to the other ladies opinions, but I will be sharing only 2 Harry's with them.  

An Unexpected Grace by Kristin Von Kreisler

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17802741-an-unexpected-grace

I will be honest and admit that I only picked up this book because of the super cute dog on the cover. That and it was 30 or 40% off at Shoppers one day and I had a weak moment. I read 95% of my books on my Kobo but I couldn't pass this one up. It was really sweet and a quick and easy read. It reminded me why I love Rambo, and a reminder is always good :) I tried to pawn this one off on my Grandma this weekend, but once I told her it was about a woman recovering from something traumatic by learning to love a dog, she quickly shut me down. I enjoyed it though, and I will continue trying to pawn it off on my fur loving friends. I will give it 3.5 Harry's  

I will be back soon with the next 5! I just started Crazy Town - about Rob Ford, so I'm looking forward to getting through that one!!

Have a great weekend and Happy Reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment